Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Beautiful Faces of Wisdom



Faces tell a story. Each unique. Each so expressive with the etchings of life's journey. I am so drawn to engage with the people and then be able to photograph with little distance between us. I was in the back seat of our "classic" red volkswagen when I saw this wonderful woman walking down the street with her colorful bag slung over her humped shoulders. My friends are absolutely wonderful and used to my asking to stop the car in an instant so all 6ft. of me jumped out of the back of the car (not an easy task) and went up to this woman. What was translated to her was that I thought she was beautiful and would like to photograph her. She was so kind and we shared smiles in that moment of time.

The following Sunday, I was driving to photograph a town Mass. I saw this woman out of the corner of my eye walking with her cane all by herself but this time we were late and could not stop. Any one who loves to photograph knows exactly that feeling of missing THE moment and missing THE picture. It hurts! As luck would have it, I was in the church setting up and saw this woman coming up to the front row in the church. She had walked almost a mile to get there! I saw determination, dignity and a quiet but powerful presence in this woman. This time I didn't miss the opportunity to photograph her and bring a bit of her back home with me.

4 comments:

  1. God didn't want you to miss her, Francie!!! Can't wait to see all the rest of your pics!!

    Mame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faces do indeed tell great stories and you have done a wonderful job of capturing these beautiful women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The faces of strength and perseverance with an overlay of joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The faces of strength and perseverance with an overlay of joy...

    ReplyDelete